Are you looking for the best mattress topper for sofa bed? Are you worried if a mattress topper will work on your sofa bed? We have answered all these questions for you.
Here’s Our #1 Topper For Sofa Beds
What makes it better than other toppers?
- Highly affordable
- Green tea extracts eliminate odor-causing bacteria
- Premium quality memory foam provides high comfort and support
- Available in all sizes
Sofa beds are quite convenient for households that don’t enough beds to accommodate everyone currently occupying them. Whether it is to accommodate additional guests, cuddling with your significant other while binge-watching a TV show, or extra bedding space for the kids, a sofa bed comes in handy. However, we cannot really say that they make the most comfortable of beds. Thus, we decided to help you find the best mattress topper for your sofa bed in order to make your sleep all the more comfortable.
Our Top Picks for Best Mattress Topper for a Sofa Bed
|#||Product Name||Our Rating||Product Link|
|1||Zinus 1.5 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Mattress Topper, Queen|
|2||Zinus 1.5 Inch Green Tea Memory Foam Topper|
|3||LUCID 2 Inch Ventilated Memory Foam Mattress Topper|
|4||Sleep Innovations 4-inch Dual Layer Gel Memory Foam|
Things to consider when choosing mattress toppers for sofas
1. The firmness of the topper
Mostly, mattress toppers are used on sofa beds to get rid of the discomfort from the underlying surface. The springs or metal rods beneath the bedding can cause trouble and might require additional layering above the mattress. Therefore, a mattress topper is of great use.
However, only firm and dense mattresses will be able to eliminate the discomfort from the surfaces. These avoid the sleeper from sinking into the mattress. On the other hand, a soft mattress is useful when you want to add extra plush and softness to the existing mattress. These help reform old and flat mattresses.
2. The type of topper
Here the type is synonymous with the material of the mattress topper. The toppers are available in quite a few variants. However, not all might be the right fit for your sleeper sofa. Here are the types that are convenient for a sleeper sofa:
- Feather or pillow top
These are made from light materials and offer a high degree of plushness. The feeling is equivalent to lying on a pillow. However, such mattresses might not provide very high support.
- Memory foam
Widely used for mattress toppers, memory foams can provide high support to the body. These are dense and help with body alignment.
Lastly, you can also use a latex topper. This is a cheaper alternative to expensive materials. It also provides a high degree of support and comfort. However, latex might cause allergies to some people.
The mattress toppers have a huge variant in size to fit all kinds of beds. You must measure your sleeper sofa and select a size that fits best. The mattress toppers are available from bed sizes like Twin, Full, King, Queen, etc.
Identify the people who are most likely to use the sofa bed. It might be your kids or frequently visiting guests. You need to take care of the people suffering from allergies. Hence, make sure that you choose a hypoallergenic material for the topper.
Besides, ease of cleaning and maintenance will also hold importance for the sofa bed topper. A washable cover helps to keep the topper clean after use by different people. This step reduces the spread of allergies and bacteria considerably.
Reviewing our top picks
Here are the reviews for the top picks list, along with the pros and cons. This review will give you an overview of the product and its features.
The Zinus Memory Foam mattress topper is an ideal choice for Sofa Bed. 1.5 inches will provide additional support without hindering the folding of the mattress. However, other depth variants like 3″ and 4″ toppers are available to the customers. The memory foam is Certi-PUR certified and specializes in durability and performance.
Moreover, the memory foam is infused with green tea extracts and natural seed oil to prevent the building up of odor-causing bacteria. The topper has a five year warranty period, which is higher than average. Also, the mattress is available in Twin, Full, short Queen (RV), Queen, and King sizes.
- Provides ideal support and comfort
- Green tea extracts to eliminate bacteria
- Available in various sizes
- Value for money
- The topper might take more than 48 hours to expand
- Cold weather is likely to affect the decompression time
- The new foam smell might last for a few days
- Product Dimensions: 78 x 58 x 1.5 inches
- Item Weight: 7.58 pounds
- Fill Material: Memory Foam
- CentiPUR Certified for durability, performance, and content
- Five years limited warranty
The Royal Plush Mattress topper is amongst the best budget-friendly toppers. This topper contains 100% down-alternative fill, which provides high comfort and support. Moreover, the cover is made from a plush microfiber shell, which is hypoallergenic. The cover is machine washable, which increases the convenience drastically.
The topper has a 2” depth and is adequate for a sofa bed. The sizes available are – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Queen, King, California King, Top-Split-King, Top-Split-CalKing.
Moreover, the topper features four anchor bands to hold its position on the mattress. The band fits mattresses with depth 8″ to 18″.
- Value for money
- The highest variants available in size
- Convenient for storage
- Machine washable covers
- Might not provide very high support like other materials
- Does not offer a warranty
- Package Dimensions: 20.98 x 17.99 x 10 inches
- Item Weight: 5.67 pounds
- Fill Material: Down Alternative Microfiber filling 600GSM
- Features anchor bands to hold the topper in place
- Down alternative fill and cover are hypoallergenic and irritation-free
The LUCID mattress toppers are another great choice for budget-friendly toppers. The brand is highly popular for providing quality and performance-driven mattress toppers. This 2″ topper is made from premium quality memory foam that provides adequate support and softness. However, it is also available in 3″ and 4″ heights, in case you are looking for high density and support.
The memory foam is built with open cell technology that prevents lasting impressions. It is also CentiPUR certified for quality assurance. The topper allows proper ventilation to reduce over-heating. Besides, these are the available variants for the topper:
The infusion variants available for this product are – Gel Infusion, Lavender, and Bamboo Charcoal.
The available sizes are – Twin, Twin XL, Full, Full XL, Queen, RV Queen, King, and California King.
- High ventilation and breathability
- Value for money
- Memory foam provides a high degree of support and comfort
- Available in multiple sizes and infusion types
- Does not include a topper cover
- It is not water-resistant
- Product Dimensions: 60 x 80 x 2 inches
- Item Weight: 2.2 pounds
- Certified frustration-free
- Certi-PUR certified for comfort and support
- Includes 3-year warranty
The Sleep Innovations Mattress Topper is one of a kind product that provides a dual-layer feature. The topper includes a 2″ memory foam and 2″ quilted fiberfill cover. This allows the user to adjust the thickness and use the layers according to their needs.
The 2” memory foam has a gel infusion which helps regulate the body heat. It also provides the right amount of density to support the spine. On the other hand, the quilted fiberfill provides soft and a pillow-like comfort to the sleeper. Moreover, the topper has a machine washable cover, which is also hypoallergenic. The skirt of the cover also allows us to hold its place throughout the night.
- Gel-infused memory foam helps to regulate body heat
- Available with a washable cover
- It is hypoallergic, which helps to protect from bacteria and allergens
- The double-layer provides extra comfort
- It is more expensive than a regular mattress topper
- Not available in all size
- Product Dimensions: 80 x 60 x 4 inches
- Item Weight: 23 pounds
- Fill Material: Gel Memory Foam, Quilted Fiber Fill
- Choice of adjusting thickness and support for personalized comfort
- Hypoallergenic and machine washable cover
- Includes a 10-year limited warranty
Q. Can the topper be folded along the mattress?
- The storage depends on the thickness and the material of the topper. 2″ or 3″ topper might fold along with the mattress. However, this might not be the case with thicker mattresses. Moreover, folding the topper for long might leave permanent impressions on the material.
Q. How to store a mattress topper for a sofa bed?
- It is recommended to store the topper separately. You should bring it in use only when required. This step will considerably expand the lifespan of the topper.
Hence, you should choose a topper that is easy to store. This includes the convenience of packing or unpacking it and the space required for storage. Mostly, toppers can be rolled and put into a small box for storing.
Q. What is the right depth for mattress topper of the sofa bed?
- The depth will vary according to the comfort level of the existing sofa bed. If the bed is highly uncomfortable, it is recommended that you go ahead with a thick and dense topper. This will help minimize the discomfort.
However, if your sofa bed is relatable comfortable, or you are short on storage space, go ahead with a thin topper. The topper will help with the support and comfort to some extent.
Q. What is the best material for a mattress topper?
- If you are looking for firmness and support, you should choose a memory foam topper. On the other hand, if you are looking to include more softness and cushiness in the mattress, the pillow top is a great choice.
Hence, if the budget is not an issue, you can select a hybrid topper that includes both the above-mentioned layers.
You might think that a sleeper sofa will not be able to provide equal comfort as a normal bed, without purchasing a premium quality mattress. However, the best mattress topper for the sofa bed will do an equally good job. You can try and see for yourself.
To conclude, we hope that this article was able to help you select the best mattress topper for sofa bed with our extensive list of pros and cons. Look out this space for more relevant information!